Physical characteristics of Down Syndrome.
People born with Down Syndrome have some of the same physical characteristics. It is not understood why these physical characteristics occur.
These characteristics include:
- A flat face with an upward slant to the eye, a short neck, small ears, and a large tongue
- Tiny white spots on the iris (colored part) of the eye
- Small hands and feet
- A single crease across the palm of the hand
- Small pinky fingers that sometimes curve toward the thumb
- Poor muscle tone or loose ligaments