Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Bridge to Bridge Race to support Special Olympics


 

Called 'America's Most Beautiful Run' by Sports Illustrated
The 35th Annual Glide Floss
Bridge to Bridge 12K and 7K run/walk
benefiting Special Olympics Northern California
Start Time 9:00am on Sunday, October 2, 2011

"America's Most Beautiful Run"

Register now - click here!
2011 Bridge to Bridge poster from artist Scott Springer
 Support Special Olympics
We are pleased to announce that, once again, proceeds from the Glide Floss Bridge to Bridge will go to Special Olympics Northern California.
Special Olympics Athletes at the Start line of the Bridge to BridgeSpecial Olympics provides year-round sports training and competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports for people eight years of age and older with intellectual disabilities.
These programs give athletes continuing opportunities to develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage, experience joy and participate in the sharing of gifts, skill, and friendship with their families, other athletes and the community.
Special Olympics Northern California is proud to serve more than 13,000 individuals with intellectual disabilities. There are training and competition opportunities year-round. The programs are free to all eligible athletes and are possible thanks to the generous support from individuals and businesses who believe in Special Olympics athletes.

VOLUNTEER INFORMATION
We will need 350+ Bridge to Bridge volunteers for Sunday, October 2, 2011.
If you'd like to help, please call Shannon Watkins (at Special Olympics) at 925-944-0594, ext. 221 or email her atshannonw@sonc.org.
Get more information about Special Olympics Northern California at www.sonc.org.
If you would like to make a direct donation to Special Olympics, please go here.


Meet Candy Agpawa (aka "The Silver Bullet")
My name is Candy Agpawa. I was born with a rare combination of Hydrocephalus and a cleft lip and palate. The doctors did not give my family much hope as to my mental or physical development. There were not many events or activities for special needs kids. I did not have friends of my own. I mostly traveled around with my parents to all my brothers’ and sisters’ social and sporting activities. I always felt there was something missing in my life.

Candy AgpawaSo with the help of a wonderful team of doctors and surgeons and the excellent programs that Special Olympics has to offer, I have come to realize that I can live a normal, healthy, active life. The coaches and volunteers in Special Olympics gave me the courage to try new things and to trust myself. My mom pushed me to my maximum potential. She made sure that I was self reliant, that I could hold down a full time job, and that I could function to my fullest capacity in this "Normal World." I know now that there is a bright future ahead of me.

Special Olympics has given me the opportunity to try new things, go many places and feel good about my accomplishments. Because of Special Olympics people respect me. They admire me for my commitment and determination to succeed. People call me things like "athlete," "hero," and "champion." My favorite sport is swimming. I swim the 100 meter, the 400 meter freestyle and I am the anchor on the relay team. I wear a silver swim cap and swim so fast that my mom calls me "THE SILVER BULLET!"

I have met so many new people and made so many fantastic new friends of my own. We have a lot of fun and always cheer for each other when we compete. Special Olympics has become a very important part of my life. All of my family is proud of me. I love to look up at them in the stands and see them cheering for me.

I could not be any of these things without the support of people like you. Special Olympics does not charge athletes any fees to participate. I don’t know of any other organization in the country that offers sports programs for free. But we could not do it without the generosity of people like you.

But you need to know that you are supporting more than a sports program. Special Olympics is so much more than sports. Sure we learn sports skills, but what we really learn are life skills. Special Olympics is TRAINING FOR LIFE! The skills we athletes learn by participating in Special Olympics will help each one of us become an important and contributing member of our community. So if you think you are just donating to another sports organization, think again. You are supporting an organization that changes lives directly impacting your local community.
Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love reading your thoughts. Please leave us a comment.